One Assistant/Associate/Full Professor
Graduate Institute of Marine Affairs (GIMA)
College of Marine Sciences, National Sun Yat-sen University
Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
Deadline: 31 December 2019; Applications will be considered upon their receipt by the GIMA.
Type: Tenure track
Salary: Commensurate with rank
Employment Type: Full-time
The Graduate Institute of Marine Affairs (GIMA) is a Master Degree Program in the College of Marine Sciences at the National Sun Yat-sen University (NSYSU) in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan. GIMA distinguishes itself in both research and teaching by its marine legal-policy and social science orientation. The Institute’s vision is for it to “develop into a leading marine affairs and policy graduate institute and make academic contributions to the shaping of national marine policy and to the safeguarding of national interests in the oceans”.
Based on this vision, as well as the commitment of our faculty members, GIMA is developing along three primary dimensions in its teaching and research; namely, marine laws and policy, fisheries policy and management, and ocean and coastal zone management. The educational goal and expectation of the Institute is that our graduates will develop superior expertise in marine policy and affairs for the service of the Nation and of the ocean industries.
GIMA invites applications for a tenure-track faculty member position at the rank of assistant/associate/full professor in the field of marine affairs beginning Spring 2019. Earned doctorate (Ph.D. or S.J.D.) of policy, law or social sciences with an academic expertise in the related fields of marine affairs is required (For the specific areas of marine affairs, please refer to the official website of GIMA at https://gima.nsysu.edu.tw/p/412-1265-3513.php?Lang=zh-tw). While the positions will remain open until filled, applications will be considered upon their receipt by the GIMA.
Qualifications for appointment:
- Earned doctorate (Ph.D. or S.J.D.) of policy, law or social sciences with an academic expertise in the field of marine policy/affairs.
- Applicants must meet the requirements as specified in Article 3 paragraph A of the “Regulations Governing the Appointment of Teachers and Researchers of National Sun Yat-sen University” (Regulations which can be found at http://ope.nsysu.edu.tw/var/file/11/1011/img/208152474.pdf)
- Proficiency in Mandarin Chinese.
- Curriculum vitae (please complete the “Teacher Information Sheet for Proposed Appointment” downloadable from http://b13.nsysu.edu.tw/ezfiles/17/1017/img/1178/453634039.doc for this purpose);
- Publication list of recent five (5) years and published materials (including refereed professional books, SSCI and/or TSSCI journal articles of which the applicant must be the first or corresponding author, and in case of co-authored publications, the applicant must provide proof of co-authorship from other co-authors);
- Xerox copy of doctorate diploma and proof of professional work experience (applicants for assistant professor position who hold foreign (provisional) diplomas and/or with foreign work experience should also provide notarized copies of the diplomas or proof of work experience from Taiwan’s embassies, consulates or representative offices in the countries where the degree or work experience was obtained) and transcripts of Master’s and Doctoral degree programs;
- Research and teaching plan (for the design of a teaching plan and intended offered courses, which could be newly developed course different from the existing courses as listed in the most recent revised Curriculum of GIMA as seen at https://gima.nsysu.edu.tw/?Lang=en);
- Contact information of three (3) references (those successful candidates in the final short list may be required to provide three (3) sealed letters of recommendation and sent directly to the Director of GIMA from the recommenders);
- Any other supporting materials considered to be useful to the search committee.
Applicants should mail all the required documents specified as above to Distinguished Prof. Nien-Tsu Alfred Hu, Director of the Graduate Institute of Marine Affairs, National Sun Yat-sen University, 70 Lien-Hai Road, Kaohsiung City 80424, Taiwan. Required documents will not be returned to the applicants, thus, applicants are suggested to keep their own original copies.
After preliminary screening, successful candidates may be invited to NSYSU campus for an interview (candidates for assistant professorship will be asked for a teaching demonstration).